Originally built in 1920 as a silent movie and vaudeville house, the theatre was purchased in 2011 and repurposed for modern movies. While the theatre isn’t as fancy as some newer megaplex, its art deco charm is certainly appealing in its own right.
This Kingman Theatre was built by Mr. S. F. Mead and his son, Frank, as a new opera house for the community of Kingman. The structure became an instant landmark, as well as a distinctive ornament for the community, especially with its night lights.
The seating capacity of the original house was 700, with standing room for approximately 100 more. The standing room also gave the patrons the convenience of moving around without missing any of the show being presented.
Built at a cost of $40,000 at the time of its grand opening in July 1920, this theater has remained true to the original intentions of its creators: to offer the community first class performing arts.
Next time you want to see a movie, consider enjoying it in the ambiance of history.
Architect: Carl Boller, Robert O. Boller
Firm: Boller Brothers